A Call to Truth - A Call to Virtue


“If you have understanding, answer your neighbor; but if not, put your hand on your mouth” (Sirach 5:12)

Today, I was reading some of the book of Sirach and I came across this passage from Sirach 5:12 and was reminded of Revelation 10:9, "So I went to the angel and told him to give me the little scroll; and he said to me, "Take it and eat; it will be bitter to your stomach, but sweet as honey in your mouth."

I don't know about you, but often when reading the Sacred Scriptures or the Sacred Tradition in the Father's of the Church and magesterium, I feel as if God is filling me with wonderful grace and insight (The sweetness of honey in my mouth). Then, after I exam my own life and weakness, I realize that I fall short and stumble and am so very slow to convert (the bitterness to the stomach). I am sure this isn't a grand insight theologically but I wanted to write about it, because I believe it is a common experience for most of us who are striving to live the life of grace in the Holy Spirit.

How often do we not sufficiently understand a matter and then proceed to speak on it anyway. I know this is an area of my life where I have need of growth and humility. "Whoever exults himself, will be humbled and whoever humbles himself, will be exulted." (Lk 14:11)

This reflection is giving me a chance to pause and reflect upon where I need to grow in humility, and I hope it helps you to do the same.